To do what is right and just is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice. Proverbs 21:3

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Updated Artist statement

I thought it might be helpful to publish my updated artist statement to give my work some more context!


Without memories, time is immaterial. Only the ideas that are locked in our brains reminds us of how time comes and goes. I believe in the collective conscious, that we all are the same, and that we are all equal. We all have memories that are special to us, but those memories are not quite unique. Just like we all have a brain, skin and bones, we all have the memory of sitting with someone we love, in a special place, at a special time.

How can we have such similar memories if we have different lives? To explore this, I have been using the Google image search feature to upload a photo and search for similar photos. I find photos that are remarkable similar to mine. These photos have the same memories: hugging a friend before prom, a messy baby, taking ballet as a little girl. These images capture the memory in a pictorial form. By showing how many of these images are out there in the world, I show that many people have the same memories I do.

I want to show these images in a lenticular print form. This means that there are many frames in a single image. Using a special lens, the different images can be seen at different angles, so at one angle you see one part of one person’s memory and part of a different person’s memory. Connecting them is the same memory: ballet, or prom, or messy babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment